1922 University Avenue. Madison WI. 53726

............

Thursday, February 3, 2011

NJE Photographer: Nick Wilkes

Nick Wilkes is the third Wisconsin photographer featured this week. Primarily a portrait photographer, Nick often focuses on architecture and landscape, always with the same magnetism.  We're proud to feature one of his landscapes in our National Juried Exhibition.

White Dome, digital inkjet print, 12" x 42" [$1250]






I started taking photos when I was a kid. I've stopped a bunch of times over the years due to hopelessness, weariness, and/or lack of funds, but I always seem to get back on the horse. Depressing a shutter button is a visceral feeling for me, maybe like landing an uppercut or slicing a tomato is for somebody else. I think we all have something that makes us feel sharp and vivid and alive; photography is one of those somethings for me.
Some people are experts, but I am not. I am a dabbler, a gerrymanderer, a jack-of-some-trades. Though I have spent years photographing, I have not cut out an area of particular interest and expertise. I do have preferences: I prefer working with passionate, positive people. I prefer strong contrast, less focus on color and more on line, shape, and form. I prefer bright, clear eyes in a photograph than just about anything else... that, or maybe a desolate, abandoned doorway nobody has stepped though in years. When given the choice, I go for naked, traditional, and natural over garnished, modern, or contrived. Simple and raw moments are my favorites to capture.
Visit Nick's website at www.NickWilkesPhotography.com for more stunning work, and come back tomorrow for the final artist profile this week!

The exhibit opens on February 28 and runs until April 8.  Join us at the opening reception March 4 from 6-9pm at the Steenbock Gallery, 1922 University Avenue in Madison WI.

No comments:

Post a Comment