1922 University Avenue. Madison WI. 53726

............

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

NJE photographer: William F. Lemke

Andy Adams selected twenty-four pieces for our National Juried Exhibition, from eighteen photographers.  Wisconsin landscape photographer Bill Lemke is one of the artists who had multiple pieces chosen for exhibition.

Joshua Tree 2, silver gelatin print, 22" x 28"  [$425]

East of Ross Point Ontario, silver gelatin print, 22" x 28" [$425]


I choose to photograph in black and white because it encourages me and the viewer to concentrate on texture, tonality and the emotional qualities of light. My images are created using either a 4"x5" or 8"x10" film camera. This is followed by traditional however tedious photographic darkroom processes, making silver gelatin prints. Each print is individually exposed and hand processed following archival standards set forth by Ansel Adams.

My interest in landscapes began with the many trips I took with my family growing up in the 1960's; typically trips out west. Through these trips, I developed a great appreciation for the beauty offered in unique plants, water and rock formations. While in high school, I took my first graphic arts class which included a unit on photography. This class forever changed my life; I knew my career and my life would be spent making photographs. I went on to study photography first formally, then informally while I gained experience in both fine art and commercial photography.

Learn more about Bill at his website, www.BillLemke.com.


See Bill's work along with the work of seventeen other talented American photographers at the exhibit, opening February 28 and running until April 8.  Come to the opening on March 4 from 6-9pm and maybe meet a few too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment